Nutrition means science that belongs to interaction of nutrients of a food. It involves the scientific interpretation of:
- What nutrients and other substances a food has?
- How those nutrients and substances interact in a food?
- What reactions happen with those nutrients in food?
- What are the consequences of those interactions and reactions?
All above questions are being studied in this science of nutrition for knowing their relation with:
- Other mechanical and functional organism
So, basically nutrition science of nutrients suggests the effects of food's nutritional status (Nutrition Facts or Nutritional Value) on growth and disease free, healthy life!
The Significance of Knowing about Nutrition
The motto of studying nutrition is to provide a set of dietary advice which is completely research and evidence based. This set of dietary advice through nutrition science includes review on:
- What should be eaten?
- Personalized nutritional health
- Personalized plan for nutritional treatment
- Preventive program for proper nutrition
- Therapeutic program for proper nutrition
- Role of nutrition in chronic and other diseases
- Remediation as per deficiency of nutrition before resorting to a drug
Nutrition and related studies include phenomena, such as:
- Food intake in body
- Absorption of food
- Assimilation processes for supplying nutrients to body
- Biosynthesis of substrates for food conversion in more complex molecules
- Catabolism for sending those molecules through various metabolic pathways for breaking down the larger and complex molecules for energy release or anabolic reactions for growth
One of the most important and useful benefit of nutrition related knowledge is avoiding Malnutrition or Nutritional Imbalance, which occurs due to supplying insufficient, extra or imbalanced nutrients.
Proper nutrition means correct, adequate, and appropriate (suitable as per person) nutrition. Supplying a body with right amount and quality of nutrition supports the growth and development of children. The ultimate effect of good nutrition is shown in economic growth advancement and poverty eradication.
Human nutrition belongs to the supply of essential nutrients to the body for leading life with health. A person can survive without food or nutrition for just about 40 days, which also depends on various factors like consumption of water, pre-stored fat in the body, mass of muscles and some genetic factors.
The term nutrition involves the complete set of nutrients such as carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals, etc.
These nutrients are made of various chemical compounds such as water, carbon compounds, amino acids, fatty acids, nucleic acids, etc.
The chemical compounds are made of many basic elements such as carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, nitrogen, iron, magnesium, zinc, manganese, etc.
The above chemical compounds and their elements are found in human body in various combinations and forms such as vitamins, hormones, hydroxyapatite and phospholipids.
In a study of nutritional status, the following aspects are being taken into consideration:
- The state of body before and after experiments
- The chemical composition of the entire diet
- The chemical composition of excreted and eliminated materials from the body, which includes feces and urine
- Comparison of food to waste material
The food and waste is analyzed for an extended span of time. The above mentioned considerations help in determining about the compounds and elements which are absorbed and metabolized by our body.
The nutritional studies that are done in human nutrition science, involve high number of variables in the experiments. The studies are considerably time-consuming and highly expensive which makes the process and growth of this science pretty slow.
The nutrition science involves the studies to understand why and how different dietary aspects influence the growth and health. It also put light on the relationship of diet with health and diseases. The nutrition term involves the range from optimal health to malnutrition. The prevention and alleviation of many diseases or symptoms can be seen through involvement of better or good nutrition.
If nutrition word is taken in reference of food or diet, it can be seen as the combined entity of nutrient units. Or for easy understanding, all the nutrients make nutrition as whole.
When someone says you need to take nutrition, it means you need to supply yourself all the nutrients in balanced and right amount.
Types of Nutrients
Nutrients that are Dietary Constituents of a Healthy Nutritious Food can be seen in two forms.
- Macronutrients that are needed in larger amount, such as Carbohydrates (sugar, starch, fiber), Protein and fats
- Micronutrients that are needed in lesser amount, comparatively, such as vitamins (A, B, C, D, E, K, P), Minerals (calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, iodine, sodium, etc) and trace elements
A food or diet that incorporates the nutrition, that is, macro and micro nutrients in correct amount is considered as healthy food or healthy diet.
Check out the Ideal Healthy Diet Chart with 9 Breaks for Entire Day for supplying your body the needed nutrition!